Saturday, January 3, 2015

Our New Year's Traditions

Happy New Year!! I know that it's cliche but didn't 2014 just FLY BY!?! I remember when I was a kid, it seemed that time went by so slowly and the adults around me were always saying the exact opposite! Now, I'm the grown up and I find myself trying to come up with ways to make sure that my kids hold on to as many sweet moments as possible.  I pray that those are the moments that make them smile when things don't go their way or when they need something to look forward to.  
Over the past couple of years our family has been doing a couple of fun things that really ends up being a fun activity and gives them a chance to see themselves grow and change.

THE  MEMORY JAR
I keep a square jar on our mantel.  It is filled with little squares of paper and a couple of pens. At the moment it isn't decorated because for some reason I never got around to it. (I will within the next couple of weeks, so stay tuned!!) Anyone in the house can add a memory to the jar, even visitors! The only rules are that whoever writes a memory has to write the date and sign their name.  We read all of these memories on New Year's Day and laughed and talked! It was such a fun way to start the year!!
Our undecorated "Memory Jar".
Taking the memories out of the jar and reading each one was so fun!!
It inspired a lot of "I remember that" and "that was so much fun!" 
SOME OF MY PERSONAL FAVORITE MEMORY JAR MEMORIES:
1) The time Lincoln had to be rescued by the life guards at the beach because he had gotten himself in a pickle. He was fine! AND it wasn't funny at the time (I was MAD!!! lol) but, of course, it's funny now!
2) When Megan came home after she had been asked to homecoming!! (Milestone!)
3) Sebastian's 8th grade graduation!
4) The night we had a homemade Crab Feed! (So MUCH fun!!)
5) When we met Cimorelli!
Really, trying to write out my favorite ones is tough because there were so many great moments this last year!! 2013 had been a rough one for us so 2014 was a very welcome change! 


Sebastian gave me permission to post this picture.  I love how he started his letter to himself.  He spent most of the time giggling at what he wrote.

LETTERS
Last year on New Year's Day, I had each of the kids write a letter to themselves. At first they weren't too excited about it but in the end three of them did wrote their letters. Our 2 younger ones didn't write one; one because he was only 3 at the time and the other because he adamantly refused and I had to choose my battles. I put the letters in a safe place and saved them there until this New Year's Day.
It was kind of fun to see that the kids that had written them were actually looking forward to reading them.  It was even more fun to watch them read and comment on how silly or funny they were or how much their writing had changed. 
I gathered everything together and decided to simply fold a piece of card
stock in half, tuck everything inside and save it.  I don't really know when or if we'll look at last year's
memories again but I couldn't get rid of them!
These are just a couple of our traditions! Actually, I find that our traditions evolve a bit as the children get older.  Watching them grow and change is one of the things I live for!! 

Do any of you have any New Year's traditions? If you do, I'd love to hear them!
Until, next time!!
Love from:
The Crazy, Chaotic, Happiness that is our Family

No comments:

Post a Comment